Pages - Menu

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Are you still considered natural if you wear wigs?














Short answer : YES.  Natural hair to me is not applying chemicals/relaxers to your hair.

Wigs to me are great protective styles, bit of harmless fun - well that was what I thought until I met these cute little brown-skinned girls at the park on Sunday - they approached me and said we love your hair  it's very pretty- They both had natural hair and thought my 'wig' was my real hair - -I responded thank you sweeties but it's actually a wig not my hair. Instantly their faced dropped and they walked away - For the 1st time in my natural hair journey I felt unnatural.

They must have thought she's dark skinned and has pretty natural hair, someone that they can identify with ; they often see images of long silky weaves on the cover of mags and perhaps was hoping this was real.

Anyhoo my girl U thought I was 'over thinking' things and I should let it go - I'm not sure if  I can.
Growing up in Nigeria I went to school in low cut - it wasn't a big deal because almost everyone around me had the same - It allowed me focus somewhat on me studies. Per my Dad 'You don't need any hair distractions, face your books' :) - I had a strong sense of identity that I believe wasn't instilled by how I wore my hair but my culture and environment(albeit my environment /media wasn't bombarded with weave wearing women well at least back then :))


What do you think? Am I 'over reacting ?









 Live simply, Live happily and Remember your life was God's idea. Own it! Live it! Work it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...