Pages - Menu

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

[Breaking news] I can ride a bicycle

Google images

You really can do anything you set your mind to

I can now ride a bicycle. It's taken me a few decades to learn but I can gladly say YES I CAN ride a bicycle. This may not be a big deal for most but it is for me. I never learnt how to ride one growing up, my parents always promised to get me a bicycle if I passed my exams. I always did pass them all but the bicycle never came.

When my husband found out I couldn't ride he took it upon himself to teach me - bought a hybrid and we set-off to the park a few times - but that was all a total disaster - It left me even more frightened and hopeless. I just couldn't get the hang of it - - fast forward years later to 2012 and I thought I really ought to give this another go and so I did.

A friend of mine who also cannot ride found a great adult learning course with Atlanta Bicycle Coalition. The True beginners class it's called. As soon as she told me I hurriedly went to their website and signed up like my life depended on it. The class lasted circa 4hrs . The tutors were beyond great. We were taught the basics of cycling, bicycle parts, safety checks, Cycling 101 etc - after 30-45mins of theory we set-off for the park. I was beyond nervous - OMG! this is really happening.

They were 8 of us in the group and we started off by scooting, then coasting (this was a real test of balance) as you had to do it without your legs touching the floor, then lastly pedaling - and that came naturally or when we felt comfortable to do so. I honestly thought it would take me 2-3lessons but I got it the 1st time - I'm well chuffed - - I wish I could call my Daddy and tell him the good news -- but I'm sure he's up there looking down and smiling at me - saying Go Baby! That's my girl!

My next step is to sign up for a bike tour/race...well technically the next step is to purchase a bicycle :)  -I'm for sure going to get a hybrid....YAY!!

Tis never too learn - all it takes is motivation and willingness to do so.

One




Live simply, Live happily and Remember your life was God's idea. Own it! Live it! Work it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...