Pages - Menu

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

How to start healthy eating



I've always been an ok eater - I don't really go overboard, I binge occasionally (I once ate a 1/2 gallon of ice-cream in one sitting) lol - I drink water 98% of the time - but I really did not know the effects of eating the right foods until I went on the Daniel Fast. Daniel Fast is essentially a plant-based eating plan with the only beverage being water. 


I went on this Fast exactly a year ago - I did so with my church. At the end I felt stronger spiritually and my body/insides was at its peak. I had so much energy, my skin was glowing, in fact it was surreal. That's when it dawned on me how important it is to eat the right foods.
After the Fast I slowly introduced Fish and Lean meats and today I pretty much keep 70% of the rules. 


I've never really struggled much with my eating that's because I know my weakness - I'm a 'see food eat food' person - if it is not in sight then I won't go out of my way to seek it...but once it's there then I have to binge and eat it all - lol - ALL MUST GO.


Here are some of my personal tips to start the healthy eating journey


1) Water - start replacing juices/sodas/ teas etc with water 
2) Milk - replace with Soya milk - the Vanilla flavour is pretty tasty
3) Snacks - replace sweets/candy with Nuts & Fruits
4) Clear your pantry/fridge of all processed/fatty foods - this is a wee drastic - so you might want to star slow
5)  Replace white with brown - so brown rice instead of white rice, brown bread instead of white , - essentially eat more whole-grains they are pretty tasty too
6) Cut out sugar and if you must replace it with honey or Agave
7) Eat more leafy vegetables - or make a smoothie out of them - spinach and kale make pretty good smoothies
8) Experiment more - walk down the healthy food aisle   - try something new - cous-cous, millet, bulgur, quinoa etc
9) Buy organic and if you can't try to buy locally grown produce - the difference isn't really much - plus you can't put a price on your health
9) Do food swaps - e.g instead of white potatoes eat sweet potatoes. 
10)Cook with healthier oils like Olive and Canola oil
11) Fry less, bake and grill more
10) Cut down on red meat - eat more fish or lean meat
11) Control your portions if you can -I'm not very good at this - instead i fill my plate with veggies or stuff my face with fruits till I'm FULL :)
12) READ! READ! READ - books, articles, magazines etc. I would totally recommend Eat, Drink and Be Healthy (pictured above) - It's an easy read . 

Lastly, healthy eating is a lifestyle the more you know about food content the better choices you'll make. So instead of looking for low fat, low sugar, low carb etc you start looking for whole grain, unsaturated fat content etc - instead of the next diet fad/craze you'll know exactly what works for you........

Be good to your body and it'll be good to you. 


x
Jo

Live simply, Live happily and Remember your life was God's idea. Own it! Live it! Work it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...