Pages - Menu

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Natural hair is NOT professional!!!



 Say WHAT!!!

I've heard it so many times, from my Dad(bless his soul), my Pastor , friends , sometimes the hubby tells me I have to dress smart in order to compensate for my natural hair or natural hairstyles.

I must say in all my 2years of wearing my hair naturally - It hasn't really affected my career negatively or rather I haven't really thought much about it until maybe a week ago.

I work for a cool IT tech company who really couldn't careless about what you wear or how you dress - they are more concerned with the quality of your work and who you are as a person -we all wear Jeans to work and in the summer flip flops - so my hairstyles over the years have been somewhat ok -infact they all look forward to my new do - I gladly share the details whenever I can - hair to me is like changing nail polish:) - well that was what I thought -until I got invited to a board meeting - the board is made up internal and external directors of the company - now the internal ones I'm kosher with but the external I was worried - but why was I worried ? I'm not my hair of course - I'm Jojo -- err no for that meeting I had to rep from head to toe literally - given I was the only black woman in meeting I really couldn't just show up with a big ole Afro - so sad but true :( - this is Corporate America afterall.

......oh so I was watching junk TV today - to be exact Millionaire matchmaker and there was a lady with an Afro - pretty lady - and the host (i forget her name) , was like err you have a pretty face but can you do something with your hair ?- maybe like Tyras - WOWZER !!!  WHAT?? SORRY?? EXCUSE YOU!! - again sad but somewhat true - image is everything in America. ...sorry for the detour just had to mention :)

Anyhoo, natural hair to me was simply a choice -it wasn't a political statement or spiritual reconnect or non of that finding yourself malarkey just Jojo refusing to put relaxer on my hair.SIMPLE!- that said we live in a world full of labels - once you can be labeled you can be classified -  how you wear your hair, how your present yourself, lifestyle etc are often what people use to label you. I remember my cousin telling me that with natural hair comes listening to neo-soul, spoken mic, being Afro centric etc all that comes with the natural hair label , nothing wrong with such but non of that applies to me - -anyhoo kinda digressing here - but my whole point is to be professional you have to look the part and you can do so with your natural hair - it's all about how you carry yourself and the confidence you exude - my meeting went well in the end - I must say God took control - I prayed that all they saw was HIM in me and not my kinky hair self.








x
Jo

Live simply, Live happily and Remember your life was God's idea. Own it! Live it! Work it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...