Pages - Menu

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr - National Historic Site Atlanta visit


Last Friday I took me Mum to the MLK National Historic Site. This was my second visit in four months. I was quite surprised at how empty it was - granted it's free to the public but I expected more people to visit.

We were there for only a short while so didn't get round to a full tour of Mr Kings birth home and memorial. We did the Visitor center and Ebenezer church tour.

MLK life was truly inspirational - I still get teary eyed watching the videos and reading stories of the civil rights movement. I am thankful that much progressed has been made since MLK's passing but at the same time there are still a quite few issues with black America today.

Today's youths do not quite understand the history or rather not seem to care much of what was done for them. Some are still quite lost, some carry a lot of negativity, some still feel chained even when the chain has being broken, some still walk with their heads down, some still feel like their colour is who they are .
Yes we still do not live in a colourblind America but we're almost there -so take charge my young brother and sister let not the government or environment drive/dictate your destiny - take charge, be the change you want to see, if MLK could achieve good in such hostile environment you can also, I can also and we can ....

I'm probably not one to comment on the state of the black American community-afterall I have only lived here for 5years -- anyhoo I managed to take a few pics - Enjoy

















If you find yourself in the Atlanta area then please go visit - free entry, free parking
Click here for more http://www.nps.gov/malu/index.htm

My favourite MLK quotes
''Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King, Jr.


In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King, Jr.


Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King, Jr.




x
Jo
Live simply, Live happily and Remember your life was God's idea. Own it! Live it! Work it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...