Pages - Menu

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

How to Henna/Indigo Gray African American hair

So yesterday I decided to experiment with my Mum's gray hair. My Mum is now in her sixties and has head full of gray hair which she's incredibly proud of. She had vouched never to  dye her hair...but no JoJo has her own ideas. HENNA/INDIGO was my idea - I finally convinced my Mum to try it - and she did - below are the results.

How to 
Henna mix - (should be muddy/yogurt like consistency)
1 - 100-200g of Henna (Body Art quality) - I used Jamila
2 - Water - I opted for Coffee
3 - 2 table spoons of Apple Cider Vinegar -(optional)
4- let mixture sit overnite at least 10hrs

Indigo mix
1 - 100-200g of Indigo - Indigo should be green in color if it isn't then you do not have pure indigo
2-   Warm water
3 - 1 tablespoon of salt (optional)
3- let mixture it sit for at least 15mins

Steps
Apply Henna generously onto hair - let it sit for 2-3hrs
Rinse out with water
Apply Indigo mix and let it sit for at least 70mins - we waited 90mins
Rinse out Indigo with water only - allow to oxide (24-48hrs) then follow with shampoo and conditioner


Hair Before 

                                                     Apply Henna in sections - much easier

                                                                 Fully cover with Henna

                                                 Wrap with a cling film and let it sit for 2-3hrs

 Henna results - as you can see the Henna turns the gray to burnt orange- me mum wasn't a happy bunny - I had to reassure her it's ok - this is expected- Warning don't apply Indigo without Henna 1st - well unless you want blue hair :)
                                                       Step 2 - Apply Indigo mix all over hair

                                                                       End results -

                                                        Natural looking brownish/black hair

                                      me mum loved the end results - next is eyebrow threading :) 
    


Live simply, Live happily and Remember your life was God's idea. Own it! Live it! Work it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...