Pages - Menu

Monday, October 17, 2011

Originality no Artificiality! Fela Rocks!

Fela Anikulapo Kuti

 Fela! the musical finally came to Atlanta and I had to go see it. It was showing for only 6 days. How could I not go? - Fela's music reconnected me back to my roots - not that I was lost , but I was slowly getting disconnected from my African heritage. After living in the UK for more than a decade - I was expose to all sorts of music - Indie, Garage, House,  Dance, Rap etc - at one point I was a hip hop head - or maybe I was rebelling - but I loved hip hop then - from Tupac, Biggie, Memphis Bleek, NWA, Wu Tang, Method man, Redman, Nas, Busta, Common, Dr Dre, Craig Mack etc you name it I had it - at one point I was buying up to 5 hiphop cds weekly ---ok I'm slowing drifting..

My favourite Fela songs growing up was Lady, Shakara, Zombie - there was something about the beats.Back then I didn't really care much for the political message - I just loved singing along - 'she go say , she go say I be lady oo' - fastforward a decade later in London I found Fela's album on a colleagues itune playlist - I was in awe - this is cool - a white Canadian that listens to Fela - very cool- I asked for a copy of the album and tis been love since -

Fela is obviously a controversial figure, he was a sex machine, polygamist, weed smoker, violent but we all have shortcomings - Fela was fearless, he spoke his mind, he kept true to himself, he stood for what he believed in, he was a master of his art, he was inspirational ,he was brilliant , just like Bob Marley, Tupac, Beatles , Michael Jackson etc -there was none like him - in his own words he was an Original no Artificiality.

Oh the show was amazing by the way - I would definitely recommend.


One thing I learnt from Fela was that he knew he was light and he wanted to shine as brightly as possible.
Let your light shine for all to see - In the words of Tupac - if you have nothing to live for you best find something to die for

Live simply, Live happily and Remember your life was God's idea. Own it! Live it! Work it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...