Pages - Menu

Monday, February 7, 2011

Product review - Miss Jessies v Shea Moisture

I'm now in my 2nd month of wearing my hair naturally- I must say it's been fun. I've been somewhat an oil junkie - yea oil not product. I believe I have maybe 20+ different bottles of oils ranging from Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Coconut, Olive, Avocado, Shea, Sesame, Sunflower, Grapeseed, Hempseed, Macadamia nut, Flaxseed, Aloe vera, Wheat germ, Evening Primrose, Argan, Apricot, Lemon, Tea-tree, Lavender, Rosemary,Castor, Vatika, Amla etc- OMG!! I'm def an oil junkie.

I guess my love for cooking and experimenting and mixing made me purchase all these oils :) - I actually use them all. I do weekly oil treatments and also add a few to my deep conditioners.

Deep conditioners - Currently using Yes to Cucumbers, Yes to Carrots, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback treatnent and ofcourse my Henna fix.
Right now I wash my hair twice a week. Once after my mid-week oil treatment -I rinse out the oils with my Yes to Carrots conditioner and sometimes add a bit of shampoo - just a tad for a nice clean.
Then I shampoo on the weekends -after Henna + DC treatment. It sounds like a lot of work but I've got it  nailed down to about an hr of work (excludes DC wait time).

Styling Products : Right now I use Miss Jessies - I initially started with the Curly pudding but that took 4ever to dry so now I stick to the Curly Meringue. Each nite I wet my hair with my mix of Aloe vera juice, Glycerin, Rosewater, bit of the Garnier conditioner and my choice of oils (i use maybe 3-4 different oils in the mix) - Anyhoo after wetting my hair I twist or braid with a tiny bit of Miss Jessies Curly Meringue.

So last Friday after reading so much about Shea Moisture (Curl Enhancing Smoothie) I decided to give it a go - given my Miss Jessies is almost out :(. Luckily a friend had an almost untouched jar of Shea moisture(she claimed it did absolutely nothing for her hair) -I decided to give it a go.
The kid in me couldn't wait to wash my hair so I immediately tried it on my dry hair - errr big mistake - I had white residue all over my hair - I had to work it in a few times before it went in.- Anyhoo, I figured perhaps its because I have other products and oils in my hair so probably best to wash my hair and try again on wet product free hair.

So Saturday came and I washed and conditioned my hair - then I applied the Shea moisture smoothie - OH WOW! I could feel the difference - It made my hair even softer - In my head I'm thinking YAY!
I then proceeded to using it to twist my hair. 10hrs later I take down the twist and was absolutely unimpressed with the results - my hair was completely DRY and it has no curl definition errrr wasn't this suppose to be a Curl enhancer???  hmm not sure what it enhanced but JoJo wasn't a happy bunny... so until I find an all natural, affordable product I'll remain a Miss Jessies fan :).

Here are a few pics of my Miss Jessies braid out and Shea Moisture.

Miss Jessies -Curly Meringue

 Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie

                                                                                                              








Live simply, Live happily and Remember your life was God's idea. Own it! Live it! Work it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...